[Asterisk-biz] Talking of PoE ...

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Wed Jul 13 02:07:53 MST 2005

John Daragon wrote:
> bclem at im-online.net wrote:
>
>> Would you mind telling us what managed switched you found which was
>> inexpensive?
>

> I thought someone might ask that!
>
> I was reeling fron the sticker shock when I looked at the PoE injector
> that Snom sell in Europe. 24 ports of DC goodness for £1659.93 !!
>
> Compare this with NetGear's 24 port 10/100 Mbit Layer 3 managed switch
> with a couple of Gigabit ports and 802.3af PoE and an iPod shuffle for
> £649.99 retail one off.
>
> And it's blue.  What's not to like ?
>
> jd

jd,

	The fact that it is a piece of junk (FSM7326P)!  Bought two, both had
bad flash after a firmware upgrade (tried one, talked with Netgear and
vendor, and tried the other once a replacement was here)...  No
secondary flash either.

	I needed to upgrade the firmware because the switch had MAJOR software
and interface bugs to the point where it was unusable on a fairly
standard corporate network with LACP, GVRP, 802.1p/q, etc.

	As a matter of fact, I have nothing positive to say about them
whatsoever (although I think they do run Linux, which is neat, I guess).

	I am sure some people have had success with them, I just haven't heard
about it!

	I am somewhat interested in Dell's new offerings of 24 and 48 port PoE
switches, I would love to try those out...

P.S. - They're really more of a purple, at least here in the US...

--
Kristian Kielhofner