[Asterisk-biz] SIP phones in an Enterprise

Bob Goddard asterisk at bgcomp.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 10:38:13 MST 2005

On Saturday 09 Jul 2005 01:59, Andrew M Stemen wrote:
> I hadn't heard anything bad about Snom's updating, and was thinking
> about using their phones in a small roll-out. Could you elaborate?
> (Probably deserves its own thread, but more suited for -Users than -biz.

First, do not top post, second, learn to trim posts - at least delete the
old signatures.

Until a couple of weeks ago, the only way to upgrade the Snom220s was
by the "mass deployment" route. The firmware was broken in that regardless
of what you did  it always downloaded a file from Snom which told it which
firmware to install - this was version 2.03o. Snom, instead of fixing the
the firmware code instead deleted this single file. We spent a lot of time
ont this with Snom saying it was our fault before they pulled the file.
I now no longer trust their tech support.

I'm now trying to upgrade a 200 also from version 2.03o this time using
"mass deployment". This time when the 200 download the config file it
sits at "awaiting configuration" screen. Anytime you try and go into one
of the menus, the phone reboots. There is no indication of any site which
the phone is trying to contact during this point.

Under the "memory" section of all the Snom phones is a connections count.
If this is anything but 0, then you are unable to reboot the phone either
remotely or via the menus and the only option is to pull the power plug.
These connections are "memory leaks" which Snom told me had been cured but
are still apparent in the latest release for the 200 (3.56y).

I've now given up on the Snom phones and do not believe they are fit
for purpose due to the continuing problems.