[Asterisk-biz] Verizon Pre-paid Calling Card

Herman Webley herman.webley at blitzllc.com
Fri Jul 8 10:49:46 MST 2005

On 07/08/05 11:42:44, Michael Welter wrote:
> I was looking at a Verizon calling card at the 7-11.  Besides the
> whopping 79¢ call setup fee, I noticed it does not allow calls to
> toll-free numbers.  Is this a marketing ploy, or is there a financial
> reason they won't complete calls to 800,888,877, etc.  I thought toll
> free meant toll free.

They can't offer the tollfree calling for free (they still have to pay
(or use channels for) origination and termination. Maybe instead of
charging for tollfree they opted to disallow it. The person would most
likely be able to make the tollfree call directly on what ever phone
they were using anyway.

> Also, there is a 50¢ surcharge for calls from payphones.  What reason
> would they have for this?

I believe that is a FCC imposed surcharge. Just about all the tollfree
providers will forward that charge to the tollfree owner.

Best regards,
Herman