[Asterisk-biz] switch

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Sun Jan 30 12:27:09 MST 2005

Steve Smith wrote:

>I live in a very rural area and may have the opportunity to access a cell
>phone license that would allow us to provide cell phone service to the area.
>However, it may be necessary for us to provide our own switch to make this
>work they way we want.  We have dabbled with asterisk but do not know its
>full capabilities.  My questions:

Cool! Any idea on CDMA(-2000)/WCDMA/GSM?

>1.	Can asterisk be configured to act like a switch,

Yes. But remember, Asterisk is not 5E or DMS; in some respects it can't
match the support and features of commercial Class 5 switch.  But
assuming you're getting some standard TDM/IP back haul from the BSTs,
Asterisk probably provide most of the services you want, at a much more
affordable price. The benefit of Asterisk is its flexibility, which is
far superior to that of basically any other product, commercial or not.
So basically, for what you want to, Asterisk will do a great job, so
long as you're cognizant that it is a toolkit, and as such, will require
a combination of time, expertise, and money to implement.

>a.	Interconnecting local cell to cell calls?

Yes.

>b.	Transferring non cell to cell calls to another remote switch that is
>connected to the PSTN?

Yes, Asterisk can do PRI and IP interconnects, and SS7 support is close
to, if not already, commercially available as an add-on module for purchase.

>c.	Handling up to 5,000 cell phones?

You'll want a cluster and a consultant (email me off list if you're
interested...) for that many, but it is certainly possible.  There are
several IP service providers running Asterisk installs with more than
5,000 customers.

>Has anyone done anything like this?

Yes, but I don't know of any who have done mobile services.
Essentially, however, there isn't much difference between what you're
doing and what they're doing from  Asterisk prospective.

Nick