[Asterisk-biz] bellster.net - GREAT advance

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Mon Jan 24 13:30:00 MST 2005

The really good part is that when you sign up you agree not to eavesdrop
or record anything going through your node. It enhances the element of
surprise when the heavily-armed SWAT commandos assault you, your loved
ones and your premises. By now most law enforcement pros are well aware
that people in chat rooms can use hacked computers to mask identity and
location. They already know which snail mail addresses are actually mail
drops and forwarding services. I doubt that many of them are aware of
things like bellster. If anything it could lead to more regulation.
There are probably some good reasons why the caller ID display says
things like "pay telephone" or "correctional facility". I still remember
getting an automated announcement at my office when the collect call was
from the county jail. I promptly hung up and revoked all phone access
for a certain employee. I guess the next step is to require that relay
node operators be registered so the caller ID will say "could be from
any a_____e from anywhere on earth".