[Asterisk-biz] Unlocking post-Vonage ATA-186s, again (was: Unlocked WRT 54 GP2)

Roderick Montgomery rod at thecomplex.com
Tue Jan 18 09:07:03 MST 2005

According to Jeremy McNamara:
> Rob Fugina wrote:
>
> >Care to share, then?
>
> I figured it out in less than 30 minutes of owning these so called
> 'locked' devices.  It is very trivial if you have even half of a clue.

Jeremy,

A factory reset (dialing # FACTRESET, or # 32273738) *is* very trivial, but
that's not what we're talking about. As is well-documented, the ATA-186
units that Vonage shipped after June/July 2003 are locked to Vonage service
with non-trivial encryption. Such encryption may be overcome, but that
doesn't make it "very trivial." Some units shipped earlier could be somewhat
simply exploited by a known vulnerability to gain access, as described here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/products_security_advisory09186a0080094ae8.shtml

If you truly have a method to unlock post-Vonage ATA-186s, then it's
somewhat oxymoronic to claim that your method is "very trivial if you have
even half of a clue," yet apparently your secret method is too lengthy and
complicated to bother typing up a few trivial steps.

I call your bluff; I say you don't have such a method.

Prove me wrong, so the following sites can be updated:

http://www.jahiel.net/projects/voip/unlock-cisco-ata-186/
http://www.phoneboy.com/bin/view.pl/Personal/BroadvoxSecurity
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article94-page7.php

rm