[Asterisk-biz] Can we create a sustainable Small Business with Asterisk.

Seshu Kanuri asteriskvc at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 22:55:12 MST 2005

Folks!

After having brainstormed for the past several months about the avenues that are best and ways and means to create a small business out of Asterisk, I have comeup with the following mix of products and services, that may be able to get us where we want to be.

A brief summary given below outlines the components for a sustainable small business in VOIP that I want to be a part of and would like to create in the near term. I would like this venture  to be in the tristate area and I am looking forward to network with people or organizations who wants to join hands for this proposed venture.

An initial contribution to this venture from my associates would be in the range of $100,000 - $150,000. Rest of the money has to be pooled, to make this project a reality.

This project would able to employ a staff of  6 with growth at 100% every year for the first few years. Promoters are expected to not avail any compensation in the first year.

-----------------------
Business Plan
-----------------------
The two business segments to focus on:

Products
--------------
1) Hardware Retail Sales (IP PBX Boxes, MeshBoxes, TalkSwitches, VOIP Phones, Zap Cards etc)
2) Developing an embedded Asterisk Box as SOHO VOIP Solution
3) Developing A Billing, DID Provisioning and GUI Platform for Asterisk
4) Developing a Calling Card Platform based on Asterisk

Services:
------------
1) VOIP Groupware Solutions for Corporates.
2) Corporate Messaging, Communications and Call-Center  Services
3) Technologies for medical transcription Services
4) Switch partition and Wholesale VOIP Termination  Services

Revenue Projections for above items in their number order are as under: ( All figures in $US) First 12 Months Period
-------------------------------
Product               Investment   Gross Sales  Gross Revenue
                           Required
1                         50,000          200,000           40,000
2                        25,000          150,000           30,000
3                        50,000          100,000           50,000
4                       40,000           100,000           60,000

Total                165,000            550,000         180,000

Services             Investment   Gross Sales  Gross Revenue
                           Required
1                          30,000         100,000          70,000
2                          75,000         200,000         80,000
3                          50,000         100,000         50,000
4                        100,000       2,000,000       100,000
Total                   255,000       2,400,000       300,000

Grand Total:        420,000       2,950,000       480,000

The strategy is two fold -  sell whatever hardware you could get from a VAR relationships from companies, to get the cash flowing.,  and make a couple of 'disruptive' products to sell.
We already have several  hardware marketing tie ups in place - ATCOM, Cisco, PolyCom, PowerDsine, LinkSys, Digium, Varion, Dell, Wooksung etc.etc. We have identified other Hardware partners we need to tie-up with, to create other Products required for a sustainable small business.

We have identified software development partners ( additionally we can avail the help of many talented Individuals and corporates in this list itself - Nicolas Gudino of Flash Panel fame, Areski of the AreskiCC + AsteriskCDR fame etc., whom we can engage for this) and will be able to create the first release version of the services platform within a reasonable 90 days, and get the first  revenues from this segment and to keep the business cashflow positive.

We have also identified a list of 200 companies ( Some of them are Fortune 50 companies whom I have consulted before ) who will need our services and probably will be able to help us achive the above objectives easiliy.

Anyone interested to join this effort may contact me privately. An initial gathering for 'meeting of minds' is slated for either 5th March or 12th March in Central New Jersy.

Seshu Kanuri
732-213-2422(Mobile)