[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk for small businesses.

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sat Feb 19 09:03:15 MST 2005

Jim Van Meggelen wrote:

>products of Cisco, Nortel, Avaya (all at the platinum level). I have
>NEVER seen anything like the quality of support that comes from an open
>source community, including Asterisk's. You are not on your own, but you
>are also expected to either have, or know how to obtain, the skills
>required.

"...or know how to obtain, the skills required." How do we do that?

There is quite a mix of people on this list. I do see 2 definite
categories so far:

1) Those who understand what asterisk is and how it is best used. They
are the ones who will go on to create a new breed of products and
services. It is likely that some of them will join together in doing so.

2) Those who will beome resellers/dealers for that new breed of products
and services.

I would respectfully suggest that those who are not content to be part
of category 2 need to consider sharing the wealth in order to build a
category 1 team. This is more like NASCAR than the Boston marathon. It
will require teamwork.

You can't just throw a PC together, install free software and then use
$10/hour technicians(fuse changers) for all your customer support.
Either you build the right organization or you buy your products from
somebody that provides that support.