[Asterisk-biz] Peggy PBX and Asterisk

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sun Feb 13 22:31:31 MST 2005

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Alex Pui wrote:
>

>>I don't think the box is the same as traditional PBX, it is an IP-PBX, a
>>competition to Asterisk and that will steal the supporter like Dan from
>>Asterisk. We don't have to assume him to be the promoter of Peggy, we
>>have to listen and to learn how to fight back, and not to ask him to go
>>away.
>>

>We listen, fight back *and* tell him to spout drivel elsewhere.

He said he didn't want to download, install, etc. which means he really
doesn't belong here unless he is looking for products and services that
some of us might offer him.

>>This is a business forum, we must make business sense, if this box is
>>much easier to handle like Dan has experienced here (I have no way to
>>endorse his experience as I have not played with that before, but
>>certainly I will try) and they are cheaper, than we would understand
>>that Idiom's configuration package ($750 for the 15 extension
>>configuration not to include any hardware?) have a hurdle to pass. We
>>have not made Asterisk easy enough for everybody and we can't cross the
>>chasm to mainstream market.
>>

>It isn't impossible to make a asterisk-running-box in that pricerange.

Look at the technical specs:

*USB Expansion*

USB memory cards for additional voice mail and call status storage

But they don't give me a hint of how much storage is included. You might
start wondering if we would really want to make a * box in that price range.

>>Of course, if there is no intention to build Asterisk for the main
>>stream, and everybody here is not going to make money from Asterisk,
>>sorry, may be we should change this forum to Asterisk-visions so we
>>don't have diversified thing to say, everybody will then come to here
>>only to cheer Asterisk.
>>

>Asterisk is not a end-user product. It never was intended to be. There are
>people who sell asterisk-based solutions, and they decide the price-range
>they want to sell it at. I doubt they consider Epigy or whatever as a
>threat.
>
>-alex

If the need is real and the customer is valid, price is not a problem. I
am not greedy but I am not going to be disrespected. Whenever a customer
questions the price, I explain to him what my salary range would be if I
went back to being somebody else's employee. Then I ask him what he
thinks that employer would be charging him for my services. Epygi and
their dealers are no threat to me. They can have that slice of the
market that fits in well with a generic solution.