[Asterisk-biz] PoE for Cisco Phones

Adi Linden adil at adis.on.ca
Sat Feb 5 12:19:30 MST 2005

I am looking for a low cost solution for power over ethernet to Cisco
phones.

I have 4 Cisco phones (7905G and 7940) that I would like to power from the
same UPS as the Asterisk server. This requires PoE. I purchased a Netgear
FS108P, a 8-port ethernet switch with 4 802.3af power ports. Unfortunately
I haven't been able to convince it to provide power to a Cisco phone by
just building a simple passive adapter.

So now I am looking for alternatives. Anything out there that converts
802.3af power to power for Cisco phones? Anythings else that provided
Cisco style POE for a small number of phones? And no, I am not interested
in a solution that costs more than the phones did, my aim is $25 per
phone to provide power...

Adi