[Asterisk-biz] Dial in Lines

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 16:40:27 MST 2005

What do you mean by "using FAX lines"?

If you mean that you want to offer dial-in Internet access via DIDs that
will deliver calls to your Asterisk machine using VoIP over the public
Internet, my experience shows that you will be more or less out of luck.

The customers may be able to dial into your system, but they are likely to
connect at extremely low rates, and once connected, they are very likely to
experience trouble with their connections including slow data transfer,
frequent interruptions of data transfer due to modem retraining, and
frequent disconnects.

On the other hand, if you have ISDN BRI/PRI lines or a voice T1 that the
users will be dialing into, then you may be able to do something like what
you want, possibly using spandsp.

As a side note, I think that your question would have been much more
appropriate for the -users list.

-Rusty