[Asterisk-biz] Hotel Interface

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 08:33:34 MST 2005

On 12/26/05, Michael Welter <mike at telecommatters.net> wrote:
> C F wrote:
> > The answer is that you can interface it with any PMS, asterisk is in
> > fact the right system for this job, as it allows you to upgrade your
> > PMS without worry about the PBX, since the PBX (asterisk) can always
> > be changed to match the PMS. However, you might have to get a good
> > programmer to do this for you.

Michael, I don't think you understood the answer I gave.

> Are you saying that all the OP has to do is take a cable, any cable, and
> plug one end into the Linux box and the other end into the PMS box
> (irrespective of brand) and it will work?  That call detail will
> magically appear in the guest's record?  That the room phone will
> magically allow long distance dialing when the guest checks in and reset
> when the guest checks out?  That the maids will dial a particular
> extension and the room inventory will magically reflect a room for sale?
>   That the front desk will be notified when a guest dials 911?

Absolutely not, it will require programming as I indicated in my first
answer, however, try doing that with an Avaya/Panasonic/Toshib/NEC or
any other non PC based system. If you don't use a PC based system,
then the itergration is limited by what's exposed from the PBX, while
with Asterisk you can always build around the limitation of the PMS.
On Asterisks side you are only limited by your imagination.

For some reason your focus is on the interface (LAN vs Serial), I
don't see why you even mention it, you can always update the PMS to a
LAN, or you could always make use of the com ports of an Asterisk box.

> Seriously C F, I don't think you understand the problem.

I very well do.