[Asterisk-biz] distribution of asterisk

Jason Becker jason at coalescentsystems.ca
Fri Dec 23 08:50:48 MST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>
>> The gpl states that  if you display a copyright you must state that the
>> program is GPLed (if it so infact is) and that there is no warrantee
>> (unless there is infact a warantee).
>>
>> my_shell_prompt# asterisk -r
>> Asterisk SVN-branch-1.2-r7557M, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2005 Digium.
>> Written by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
>>

>> This is not the case, as such asterisk is in violation of the gpl for
>> that.  So I have to modify that before I distribute it to avoid
>> distributing something in violation of the GPL.
>
> This is absolutely correct.

I don't think the above is a *requirement*. I think the above is more of
a guideline. The above is discussed under the section "How to Apply
These Terms to Your New Programs" with language that strongly suggests
that it is in fact a guideline. Clause 3 of the GPL unequivocally states
one's responsibilities with regard to distribution.

Regards,

--
Jason Becker
Director & CEO