[Asterisk-biz] Israel to block International VoIP calls?

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sun Dec 18 01:25:16 MST 2005

Yair Hakak a écrit :

>sorry, we were talking about 2 different things. i was talking about
>local numbering and wireline-replacement service, and you were
>referring to my original post about grey-route termination.
>
>there are good reasons not to allow grey-route termination, among them:
>1. the possbility of undercutting the licensed interconnect scheme this way.

But you said "it's not our job tobring in government revenue, if that's
the insinuation", so I guess that should not be taken in consideration.

I told you there was another reason pushing your agenda. Or maybe the
licenses are free? Mhhh. Doubt /that/ !

>2. LI (legal intercept) -which none of us, including myself, like, but
>which as a regulator i do have to deal with.

I don't need a license in order to cooperate with the police.

In fact as a little story the police phoned me yesterday because of
somebody placing malevolent calls through my network. They thought it
was me. They asked me what I was doing which I explained. Then they
asked me if they could have access to the CDRs and I told them that I
would do it for specific numbers and at specific times, and only with a
written, signed and stamped police order to do so.

And that was it.

Besides, your logic means that you will probably have to outlaw skype
and VPN software as well.

>there are some others (mainly involving cellular networks), but those
>are the main ones.  and, by the way, many (but as you pointed out
>probably not all) of the piratical operators are truly piratical, i.e.
>they don't pay taxes on wages and benefits, simply because they are
>not recognized as corporate entities by law. many of them are "fly by
>night" types, which is a problem in and of itself, i.e. stability of
>supply to avoid wild fluctuations in price.

Exactly my point. If you outlaw them, how do you expect them to pay
taxes and cooperate with law enforcement authorities? You basically
force them in being "piratical entities" and you are responsible for
those wild fluctuations in price.

Grey routing consists of:

- Buying minutes at price X (like you would buy potatoes)
- Selling minutes at price X + Y (like you would sell potatoes)
- Transporting / Delivering minutes to your client using the internet
(like you would use a truck to ship potatoes)

I don't see why it should be outlawed - it's just bloody COMMERCE.

Trust me, if you needed to pay a hefty license to buy, sell and
transport potatoes, those will be a lot more expensive. But maybe that's
the way it works in Israel by the way, I have no idea :)

>on a different note, how does telecom regulation work on Reunion
>island? is it the same as in france or are there local regulations? is
>there competition?

Same as in France. There are 2 mobile phones operators. As for
landlines, there are France Telecom (historic operator), Outremer
Telecom and XTS Networks.

There are also VoIP companies starting to mushroom, including me. Some
of them have started to apply for L-33-1 licenses on their own because
it forces France Telecom to sell them direct interco at cost. And in
fact I plan to do the same thing next year.

I guess it's not bad for an island with only 800,000 people on it.

So you see, unlicensed businesses can eventually grow into licensed ones
if you give them some time to mature and grow. I have only started my
business a year ago.

Give your businesses a chance. I'm sure that there is plenty of talent
in your country which only waits your go to flourish and grow.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.