[Asterisk-biz] Israel to block International VoIP calls?

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 21:20:13 MST 2005

On 12/17/05, Yair Hakak <yair at hakak.com> wrote:
> see my comments inline.
>
> On 12/17/05, Jean-Michel Hiver <jhiver at ykoz.net> wrote:
> >
> > >4. it's all well and good to say "anyone can open a VOIP company" but
> > >in a country without much competition that doesnt work.
> > >
> > If it doesn't work then you don't need to regulate it. The market will
> > do it. I think your argument is clearly fallacious and there must be
> > another reason pushing your agenda.
> >

> uh...no. see below. if you think i have another reason i'd love to
> hear it. we are not the finance ministry, and it's not our job to
> bring in government revenue, if that's the insinuation.
> >
> > >say i want to open a vonage-type service in the US, i have 2 options. either i
> > >register as a CLEC, or i have a relationship with a CLEC, who treats
> > >me as a large customer. the second option is not viable in israel,
> > >because as a new VOIP entrant you're not going to find a CLEC who will
> > >work with you.
> > >

> > Why not? Just order some PRIs and start working. As I said above, if
> > it's not profitable, then you don't need to regulate it.
> >

> that's exactly the point. NO ONE WILL SELL YOU PRIS because you will
> be their competitors. its not a matter of being profitable, it's a
> matter of the incumbent LEC applying monopolistic power towards you.
> if, on the other hand, you have a license, the incumbent doesnt have a
> choice, and has to sell you PRIs.

Why not? here in the US every one is intested in selling me a PRI even
though I want to resell it and become their competitor. I see this
argument being totaly wrong, if one doens't sell me a PRI, then their
competitor will, if the competitor doesn't, then someone will open a
compnay (with a CLEC license) to sell PRIs to all of those that
couldn't get it from the competitor because they will become
competitors. Selling to someone that will resell your product, even if
they end up being your comptition, is called free marketing, since
your customer/competition is doing the marketing for you. Restricting
this benefits *ONLY* the big companies.