[Asterisk-biz] SuperMicro Servers

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Dec 15 10:01:15 MST 2005

Cory Andrews wrote:
> Nate - Are a lot of folks utilizing Opteron processors?  We utilize
> mainly Intel around here but I prefer AMD outside the office as well,
> they've come along way since the K62 Series

We (Digium) have recently bought some Dell servers, but we also really
(really) like Opterons and have recently built a 3TB storage server
using a dual Opteron platform. Asterisk runs quite well on AMD 64-bit
CPUs (also Intel, obviously) so for your business you would do well to
consider offering and supporting both.

I would echo the previous reply's comment: dual power supplies are must
for anyone using these systems for serious applications. We bought Dells
because up until recently there were only three manufacturers producing
1U servers with dual power supplies: Dell, IBM and SuperMicro. IBM was
much more expensive, and SuperMicro uses SATA chips that didn't have
open-source Linux drivers (they do now). If we built our own servers in
the future, we'd go with SuperMicro, but we bought another batch of
Dells primarily for consistency, support and lack of time to put boxes
together :-)