[Asterisk-biz] Small / embedded system recommendations

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Dec 12 01:47:37 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 00:40 -0800, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> If you get the gpled version of mysql all the gpl rules are in place and
> no more.  They cant legally enforce some of what they claim they can
> because to do so violates the very license they issue with (the gpl).

we were discussing this issue on irc and came to this conclusion if you
are truely worried about their commercial license.

fork mysql gpl to OurSQL (Thanks Ben) which is also gpl but doesnt have
any claims of a commercial license.  Pure gpl no other issues.  The code
can be 100% identical but a sec -e s/My/Our/g might be handy :)

Then everyone can have something compatible that isnt in any way
commercially licensed and would be valid under the terms of the gpl :)

Nice simple and easy work around.  As much as I personally dislike the
gpl I dislike people who choose the gpl and then do not follow it
themselves but insist everyone else should.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378