[Asterisk-biz] Small / embedded system recommendations

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Dec 12 01:13:10 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 23:54 -0800, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 08:24 +0100, Ron Arts wrote:
> > You probably have taken care of this already, but just in case:
> >
> > Are you aware that if you distribute MySQL within a commercial
> > product, you require a commercial MySQL license for each box?
> >
> lies! - by mysql

since there is some controversy over my opinions in the past, here is
something from mysql itself
http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/opensource-license.html
Our software is 100% GPL (General Public License);

They also dont like software patents, and claim they dont have any and
instead rely on copyright.  In essence they have no claim to say that if
you sell something you have to get a commercial license.  They cant
claim its GPL and then modify the GPL becuase that no longer would be
the GPL.

They also link to
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gpl-license.html
which is Ver 2 of the GPL.

Section 2 is intact which reads:
You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code
as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and
appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and
disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this
License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other
recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the
Program.

You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

Section 3 covers modification so dont worry that section 2 states
'verbatim copies'.

Section 7 specifically states (emphasis mine)
YOU MAY NOT IMPOSE ANY FURTHER RESTRICTIONS IN THE RECIPIENTS' EXERCISE
OF THE RIGHTS GRANTED HEREIN.

This invalidates *any* claim they have to say you must get a commercial
license becuase that would violate section 7 by imposing further
restrictions.

Remember *they* chose the GPL so *they* have to deal with the fact they
may not like all the terms and may want to actually extort money from
people when they dont have a legal right.  If *they* didnt want
commercial licesnes to be allowed by the GPL *they* should have made
their own license.  They did not do this, to now try to scare people
into paying money for something they arent entitled is questionable at
best.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378