[Asterisk-biz] Re: US e911 reminder

asterisk_help at iwishi.nu asterisk_help at iwishi.nu
Thu Dec 1 06:55:35 MST 2005

We ran into constant problems with updates ourselves. Like you have found,
there are several solutions around, they each have problems. It seems
without an Intrado account yourself, and without being registered at NPAC
(the number portability people) you can't update all your records you may
have directly.

We took our problem to the 911 people to see if we could send them the
data some how, but all we heard about were the products different
companies responded to them with.

We ended up just calling the CLEC and telling them our plans, and what we
needed. We agreed on a service charge for each update and decided that
this was a better deal than going through the hassles ourselves.

We still have no workable solution for our out of region directory numbers
assigned in our area. For exammple a 303 area code assigned in Minnesota.
We've looked into PANI numbers, but then we need access to a MPC (mobile
possitioning center) to place location records on the ss7 network for the
PSAP to query. This is how wireless 911 works. Each cell site sector has a
PANI (fake phone number) used for identifing the general area for routing
the call, then the PSAP sees its one of those PANIs and they fetch the
location over ss7 instead of from the static database. Technically the
PSAP's database provider fetches the information from ss7.

I'd like to hear from VoIP e911 solution providers. Dash 911 looked like
an option, but I keep hearing about differing policies, don't like the 5
year coontract and following up with me has been poor the three times I've
talked with them. Maybe they'll read this and jump on getting back to me.

Any others?

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Matt wrote:
> How are you doing your E911 updates?   We are trying to do it through
> 911etc but they are saying they can only help us with CLECs connected
> with Intrado, and they can't update addresses for people who brought
> Verizon owned numbers into our system through the CLEC with which we
> work.    It's like pulling teeth to get anything out of Verizon.....

<snip>