[Asterisk-biz] voip e911 and homeland security

Andres andres at telesip.net
Mon Aug 29 14:22:44 MST 2005

Paul wrote:

> I just keep wondering if the FCC has considered homeland security
> issues in formulating its recent  rulings. Abuse of the 911 system
> could cause disruptions in emergency services. Even worse, such abuse
> could be used to divert emergency service resources away from a
> planned attack location.
>
> Do you suppose that hackers might be able to make 911 calls that
> appear to come from subscribers? Will the proposed implementations
> clearly indicate to the dispatcher that he is getting a voip-based
> call rather than a landline? At least that way they might immediately
> see that multiple calls coming in at the same time are all from voip
> subscribers.
>
> Some of the common vulnerabilities I observe in small home/office
> networks lead me to believe the possibilities are strong. I see
> nothing in the FCC rulings that mandate good security for the
> subscriber ATA/IP-phone/Softphone

I think Voip 911 should work similarly to Cell Phone 911.  ATAs and IP
Phones would have an embedded GPS receiver that pinpoints the location
of the subscriber when he makes that 911 call.  Anyone that calls 911
with a GPS position outside the US would be blocked.  This would also
eliminate the need for users to make cumbersome updates via phone or
web.  Asking humans to keep their location up to date is just
ridiculous.  I can see Junior ordering a Vonage line and Grandma calling
911 from that line a few months later.  Its a recipe for disaster.

Massive implementation of GPS receivers in ATAs and IP Phones would cost
just pennies per device.  Well worth it in my opinion.

Andres