[Asterisk-biz] voip e911 and homeland security

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Mon Aug 29 14:05:22 MST 2005

I just keep wondering if the FCC has considered homeland security issues
in formulating its recent  rulings. Abuse of the 911 system could cause
disruptions in emergency services. Even worse, such abuse could be used
to divert emergency service resources away from a planned attack location.

Do you suppose that hackers might be able to make 911 calls that appear
to come from subscribers? Will the proposed implementations clearly
indicate to the dispatcher that he is getting a voip-based call rather
than a landline? At least that way they might immediately see that
multiple calls coming in at the same time are all from voip subscribers.

Some of the common vulnerabilities I observe in small home/office
networks lead me to believe the possibilities are strong. I see nothing
in the FCC rulings that mandate good security for the subscriber
ATA/IP-phone/Softphone