[Asterisk-biz] DID is a mission critical issue raised by C. Hatton Humphrey "Where did my DIDs go?"

smbPBX smbpbx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 08:42:20 MST 2005

Pardon me for starting a new thread. I thought the issue was critical enough
to deserve a general discussion.

I have been asking the following question to myself for quite some time.
Since Voxee was generally praised for their responsiveness ( I am their
customer and they have been good), I posed the following question to Voxee
after they announced their DID service:

"If I port my business clients' primary business DIDs (main incoming number
used for years) to Voxee and in an UNLIKELY event Voxee goes belly-up (like
LiveVOIP), what happens to my clients' DIDs? How does he port back to other
carrier? is their any regulation governing this?"

They did response by saying that as long as the customer is in good
standing, they will "port out" the DIDs to other carrier. BUT, they didn't
answer the real question about what happens if Voxee goes belly up.

I read much of the discussion on this list and elsewhere about per minute
rates (both incoming and outgoing). But, at the end of the day, if your DID
is out service, you are out of business!

In my opinion, the DID decison is much more critical than chossing a
termination provider. One can have multiple termination providers configured
in their PBX, so that if one is unavailable, the call can be terminated
using another route. But one CANNOT have multiple DID providers.

The situation in general, and C. Hatton Humphrey's horrible experience in
particular, does raise some fundamental questions. I hope that service
providers, including Voxee, and legal-types will jump in to elicit some
answers.

1. I assume that only CLECS and ILECS can own the DID numbers in a
particular US state. (International DID ownership raises even more questions
since many service providers (resellers) are now offering international
DIDs).

2. Who is ultimatley responsible for LNP - the "current DID owner" or the
"future DID owner".

3. Is their any regulation about what happens to the DID number if the
service provider (reseller), or even the CLEC, goes belly up.

4. Does the LNP regulation offer any recourse and damages to the end user?

Thanks for indulgence and best regards,

smbPBX