[Asterisk-biz] RE: FCC new decision

Tom Hayden thayden at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 18:00:06 MST 2005

Well, I haven't read the decision yet, but it sounds like it's just
the FCC taking another step in encouraging inter-modal competition
between DSL, Cable, Satellite, and cellular carriers. I'm not sure how
much this is really going to hurt VoIP termination services in the
short term, but in the long term consolidation like this is going to
hurt the little guy running a VoIP service as the big players get
their own voip services up and running.

I really don't like how the FCC is trying to shape the industry - I
wish we'd let the market do that.  I feel like the lobbying efforts
from the big ISPs (Comcast, SBC, Verizon) is really going to kill any
small local competition in favor of these large companies who don't
necessarily offer a better service.

--
Tom Hayden
Astoria Telecom, LLC

On 8/8/05, Alex Pui <alex.pui at act-labs.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Check this news and I think it is going to affect the VOIP ISP like Vonage,
> how about us?
>
> http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA632608.html?display=Breaking+News&refe
> rral=SUPP
>
> Alex