[Asterisk-biz] Status of 911 for voip providers?

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Mon Aug 8 09:35:40 MST 2005

Not that I know of. From the FCC order:

" To achieve these goals, the Commission adopts a broadly-stated E911
requirement that applies to all interconnected VoIP services, while allowing
providers flexibility to choose among technological solutions.  "

--Key word is *all*.

" The Order recognizes that some VoIP services, particularly those nomadic
services that allow consumers to take their VoIP service from their home to
their office or their beach house, face significant implementation
challenges.  Access to the trunks, selective routers, and databases of the
E911 network is essential to meet the obligations set out here."

--Here the FCC recognizes nomadic services, and adds that there might  be
"significant implementation challenges".

" Furthermore, providers of interconnected VoIP services that can be
utilized from more than one physical location must provide their end users
one or more methods of updating information regarding the user's physical
location.  "

--If there was any question about not having to handle updates, it's settled
here. If they can be at more than one location, they have to be able to
update.

One thing the order is not clear on is how fast the updates need to happen.
The FCC says "timely", and refuses to set any specific performance metric.
Some people are working on a "one business day" response, and others (inc.
the company I work for), are doing ~15 minutes. I personally believe the FCC
is going to see what people do and decide to then set some standards. I.e.,
if 90% of providers are doing 15 minute updates, and a few are only doing
1-day updates, I'm pretty sure they'll address the issue. (I certainly don't
think 1-day is "timely").

I personally believe it's better to side on being a bit more cautious and
implementing something that will most certainly work, versus looking for a
loophole and hoping to slide through. Even doing a rough calculation for
risk shows it's not worth it.

Disclaimer:
This is my own opinion which I believe is reasonably informed and does not
necessarily represent the views of Dash911. I work for Dash911, which
provides 911 services, so I could have some slight bias in my personal
views.

-Michael