[Asterisk-biz] anti trust law against cisco , good for the industry.

Adrian Chapman adrian at trivas.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 06:01:24 MST 2005

>>>A very experienced telecom company chairman last claimed to me that if att would not
>>>have been broken into the baby bells, today we would not have cell phones.

>>Without wanting to comment on the wisdom or otherwise of the
>>Cisco/Sipura deal, and without being a vast expert on AT&T...
>>
>>How, exactly, could AT&T have prevented cellphones taking off?

> Refusal to interconnect. You take it for granted, but you forget that 30
> years ago, MCI had to file multiple lawsuits just in order to get
> interconnection rights to the AT&T-operated phone network (where the
> expression "law firm with a switch in the back" comes from).

I think you're missing my point.

The phone lines and mobiles *I* have available to use - and BT's just as
bad as anybody else - have nothing to do with MCI, AT&T or any other
*US* provider, because I'm not in the US...

So how would a local provider affect global take-up? It wouldn't. It
might mean that you guys in *the US* were far slower getting cell
phones, but there's no way that the US business market would have
happily sat there and watched every other country getting cell phones
while they were denied them.

AT&T, even as a monolith, would have HAD to provide cell phone
interconnection, because of the external pressures.

--
Adrian Chapman
Director