[Asterisk-biz] Re: DS3000

David Josephson dlj at altaphon.com
Thu Apr 28 18:52:09 MST 2005

Matt Klein wrote

> Yep, and that is on the Asterisk side. I didn't even think of the
> licensing costs involved in a DS-3000, smart point very well made.

> Anyone care to enter discussion? Why would we bother with a DS-3000?

Mark has to be thinking of all of this, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. The whole package has to pencil out vs a standalone gateway or no one will buy the cards. They have to be way less than $7K, and based on the photo of the cards there is no gold plated IC that would make it so expensive. I got a snippet of information from them a week or so ago saying that they expected it would run at capacity on a 2 GHz Opteron. That makes sense. Why would we bother? Because we could put our whole POP handling thousands of DID numbers or hundreds of trunks in one 1U server connected to an eager CLEC/colo with two pieces of RG-6 rather than a fat wad of T1 STP multipair cables.

--
David Josephson