Why? Are the CLEC's trying to keep people from using their PRI's for termination/origination these days? WAS: [Asterisk-biz] CLECs that provide ISDN PRI in the New YorkCityarea

Alexander Lopez alex.lopez at opsys.com
Wed Apr 27 23:42:33 MST 2005

 They feel that they should protect the semi-monopoly that exist until
this day. When I was starting out as an ISP bout 15 years ago selling
Dialup, BellSouth would gladly sell me all the POTS lines I needed. At
one time an ISP I knew of had three 100-pair cables coming into his
Bedroom. He was lucky enough to live 1 block away from the CO.  (I never
actually saw it but more than one person cliamed they did)  As the
Dialup market grew the Telcos tried to tax the Dialup internet calls as
long distance because the 'information' may be passed across county,
state, and country borders.

I feel (opinion) that the Telcos, fell that they still own the Network
and that they are losing terminaltion minutes into their networks from
reprocosity agreements they have with other telcos and LD companies.

You see in the Telco world, A long Distance call has three billable
elements.

Origination
Transport
Termination

For an example, NOT REAL NUMBERS!!

Lets say you cann from Miami (BellSouth) to LA (PacBel),your LD carrier
is AT&T and your LD rate is .09 (nine cents).

SouthernBell would get .03 for Originating the Call
ATT would get .03 for transporting the call from Miami to LA
Pacbel would get .03 for routing the call through their network and to
the end point (Terminating)

So there is a definate LOSS potential that VoIP introduces to the LD
companies as we 'hop over' from Rate Center to rate center without being
a telco.

<H1>
<offcenter>
<rant>

I feel that the best thing that the telcos could do is go flat rate,
REAL flat rate, not capped. They own the network already for the most
part, the cost of billing, supporting the billing, and system to track
billing, take a good chunk of the profits.

Just imagine the amount of Data that a large telco needs to have in
order to hear you complain and credit you money back.
They need a database, call center, agents, etc. just to give people BACK
money!!!  The cellular companies learned in the United States that if
you make the service affordable to the masses then cloning a phone
becomes an unessesary option because the trouble is not worth the
benefit. (MAJOR organized fraud is the exception)

Many on this list have stated that unless you follow the rules you are
doomed to fail. I agree. However there is a window of oppertuity to 'get
in on the ground floor' in regards to building a network.  My salutes to
all that follow the rules and to those who 'think outside the box'.

</rant>
</offcenter>