[Asterisk-biz] Largest Asterisk Implementation

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Wed Apr 20 04:32:02 MST 2005

Before everything else,

Your mailer seems to have been infested with some kind of horrible
spyware and sends HTML attachement promoting a booze store. Maybe you
should fix that first and then worry about Asterisk :)

Your project sounds pretty cool. I haven't done anything of that scale
yet but I don't think it's crazy at all - in fact that is the kind of
project scale I would love to work on.

So far I think you have 2 choices:

1 - Have one (maybe two for redundancy / failover) big Asterisk server
and maybe a SER box for SIP handling. Then on each of your sites, have a
decent router with SIP proxying capability.

This could be a good option I guess, but it's pretty heavy weight. If
connectivity or asterisk fails for some reason (any reason), you are in
big trouble, leaving 800+ people without a phone in the dust :-(

2 - Have one linux box doing asterisk on each of your remote office.
Then maybe use something like Dundi so that each asterisk box knows how
to route the calls.

Ideally, you would want to build this on fanless computers using solid
state media such as CF cards rather than hard drives. Having less
mechanical parts means that the likelihood of hardware failure is reduced...

Personally, I would go for 2).

The reason for this is that you can start with a few offices / machines,
and then do the work progressively. In other words, evolution is better
than revolution, even if it's tempting to "redo the whole phone system
from scratch".

As you add more systems, you will see which areas need to be automated
(provisioning, software upgrades, etc) and can sort out one problem at a
time.

And at least if some hardware (which should be very reliable anyway)
fails, it won't destroy your entire organization's phone system...

3 - Top 3 things in my head to think about:

- 911, Emergencies
- Managing Users (add new user, etc)
- QOS

Cheers,

--
Ykoz Un Max - La VoIP en pré-payé!
Essayez gratuitement - 5 crédits offerts.