[Asterisk-Biz] Asterisk licensing, yet again (was: SS7 available for Asterisk)

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 18:04:40 MST 2005

On 4/16/05, Roderick Montgomery <rod at thecomplex.com> wrote:
> William Waites wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Jeremy, it's funny how this issue keeps comming up again and
> > again. You are correct that, technically, the GPL allows this.
> > What Digium is doing is indeed legal. Barely.
> > [snip]
>
> William, your characterization of Digium's licensing as barely legal is
> simply wrong on its face, and it unfairly casts Digium as a shady company.

Amen...

Someone puts their valuable time into creating a great product, and
you get people that think they have no right to profit from their hard
work.

I don't know what motivated Digium to put * under the gpl and make it
available to everyone, but I do know that if Digium also makes
commercial versions, it doesn't take anything away from what they have
already *given* out for free.

Never mind that the original poster completely confused copyright law
and software licensing, acting as though you are entitled to something
you didn't have a hand in creating is just wrong.  Be thankful for
companies that make products like this available, regardless of
whether you understand or even agree with their intentions for doing
so.

Chris