[Asterisk-biz] $19.95/mo unlimited US IAX termination

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Tue Apr 12 20:02:01 MST 2005

On Apr 11, 2005, at 2:03 PM, Lee Azzarello wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 09:33 -0500, Brian West wrote:
>> Speex is a CPU whore.  Even more so than g729.
>
> How much of a whore are we talking about here? Clock cycles are cheap,
> so if I can get 7 channels of speex with a dual 900Mhz PIII (my current
> system) I'd say it's worth the savings in bandwidth.

You can get a lot more than that.

The default settings in codecs.conf for asterisk suck;  You need to use
complexity 2 or 3, not 4 (just wastes CPU), and lower bandwidth uses
_less_ CPU in most cases.  I usually use ABR=8000 mode, and find that's
a nice choice.  (uses more bits or less depending on complexity of
speech).

Also, compiling the library with --enable-sse helps about 20%.

-SteveK