[Asterisk-biz] USA Termination :: from PRI /T1

Justin B Newman justin.newman at binhost.com
Thu Apr 7 14:54:50 MST 2005

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) wrote:
>
>> Enlighten us here. How can you send Long distance calls on local trunks,
>> when you have these trunks designed to send calls to particular rate
>> centers?
>>
> <snip>
>
>> Am I missing something here?
>

> Yeah, he was referring to terminating a call that originated outside of
> your area on your local trunk. The local carrier may consider that long
> distance. (I'm assuming he meant that would somehow be in violation of
> your agreement.)

Well, to be more specific ...

<Insert 'I am not a telco engineer' disclaimer here.>

Most facilities-based CLECs have at least 3 kinds of trunks[0]:

* Local
* "RBOC" Long Distance
* IXC

Local trunks are designed for callers for whom the call is local.  "RBOC
Long Distance" trunks are trunks going to the RBOC, but terminating a
call that is long distance (ie, in-state long distance).  IXC trunks are
for "pure" long distance calls.

The RBOC and CLEC calling areas are often different.  Therefore, the
RBOC cannot make the same kind of "blanket assumptions" about CLEC
trunks that they can PRIs they've sold to end users.  RBOCs generally
"lock down" end user PRIs pretty tightly.  On the other hand,
facilities-based CLECs generally have a fair amount of latitude.
Wireless carriers have even different rules than the CLECs...

If an RBOC sees large numbers of "out of area" ANIs coming through a
CLEC's local trunks, it would be in the interest of the RBOC to bring
this to a halt.  While this might be a gray area ... I'll repeat my
original assertion.  I'd rather not find myself "holding the bag" while
the regulators duke it out.

<Insert 'All this varies by region and RBOC' disclaimer here.>

Yours,

-jbn

[0] - Ignoring emergency services / PSAP / e911 trunks.