[Asterisk-biz] Re: Vonage Repwasarrestedby theMexicanPGRlastnight.

VOIP Consultant c.savinovich at itntelecom.com
Wed Apr 6 21:57:54 MST 2005

>>If Vonage gets really well connected they may eventually get them out of
jail.
>> William

  Well connected??.  Sorry, I agree with you that they could get out of
jail, but totally disagree that Vonage can run business as they would like
to, no matter how well they "connect" in MX.  The reason is simple: money...
Telmex makes so much money charging ten times the USA rate, that they can
likely out-connect anyone who challenges them.   Think about it, there is a
reason things run the way they do and at the rate they do... and the
mexicans being smart businessmen (yes, they are), will not let anyone come
and steal their cake.

   I give you another current example: Cuba.   Currently selling at .55 to
.97 range.  Now, why can't a Vonage kind of outlet go in and convince some
officials that they would be better off selling at $29 monthly
unlimited?....  because those officials will be loosing money big time.
Now, what some of those officials can do, and happens a lot, is take your
money making you believe you are well connected...  and you will be well
connected for a few months until they suck you dry... and then one day when
you are beginning to grow they will shut you down themselves.

   I can't really attest that that's what happened in MX, but it smells to
me very much like it.

 CS