[Asterisk-biz] tandem locations

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Tue Apr 5 17:48:08 MST 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Paul wrote:

> Jamie, you are right about that being one possibility. But I wonder why
> someone would want locations of such things. Tandem computers are the
> type of thing that are usually dedicated to a purpose or need. You don't
> just walk into a place and rent time on them to run your favorite COBOL
> payroll or billing app. So my guess is that Keith is referring to some
> other kind of tandem. I'm curious now.
Yes, obviously.

Tandems are switches that connect only to other switches, not to end
customers. In a given lata, there are at least two ILEC tandems, often
more. Some of those tandems provide services to 911. Some are used to
interconnect with CLECs. Some are used to interconnect with IXCs. It all
can be in a single tandem, or not.

-alex