[Asterisk-biz] Re: question on VoIP setup

Dan Iordanescu dan at TelEmania.com.au
Thu Sep 16 00:10:50 MST 2004

Hello Kerry,

Either do reading or spend some money. Money will have to be spent
anyway on hardware.

To answer your questions:
1. For 20 simultaneous calls you need at least 400kbps for gsm codecs or
at most 2Mbps for alaw or ulaw codecs.
2. At least one gateway in each country. The brand of gateways varies a
lot. The protocol/technology can be either h323, sip or iax.
3. There are no off-the-shelf packages. This is because no two setups
are identical. However, there are building blocks (hardware and
software) which can be integrated together. The rule is that the more
expensive the building blocks are, the least expensive the integration
work is. The reciprocal is also valid.
4. The setup information depends on the hardware and software used for
the entire solution.
5. Absolutely, it can be achieved by Asterisk. Not many PBXs can be used
to achieve this. I feel here a confusion between PBXs, gateways and
maybe telephony servers.

I don't know what your budget is. If it's low, I think the best solution
is Linux/Asterisk boxes with telephony cards to suit your needs. Open
source software can be used for integration: Perl/Mysql.
To get a rough idea for the costs read on...
For 20 simultaneous calls one PRI card on each side is needed. For 2 PRI
cards this is USD3000. To run Linux/Asterisk on each side, it means 2
computers. I normally use good hardware like Dell or IBM. For 2
computers (bits and pieces included) this is another USD3000.
Now comes the integration work. Depending on the bells and whistles you
require and if I would do the work, I would charge you between USD1000
and USD4000. Integration time would be one month.

You have to keep in mind that you will also have other costs: One PRI on
each side from a local telco and broadband Internet access from a local
ISP. Prices vary with the location, I can't give you estimates.

If you need more details or want to speak with me, let me know and we
can have a chat on FWD or Skype.

I hope this helps,
Dan.