[Asterisk-biz] Consultant rates

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Oct 28 14:37:38 MST 2004

Flynn wrote:

> Is it as "simple" as X hours * Y bucks per hour?

No, it's not that simple. The consultant will spend gobs of hours
up-front deciding on a platform/configuration/implementation, but then
has to communicate that (document it) to the client. Once the client has
it, the consultant is no longer needed, and the client can scale the
solution as far as it will go.

> Problem is, this client is starting out on a shoestring budget - so what
> other alternatives could they provide in lieu of a huge consultant's
> fee upfront?

There aren't many alternatives, other than an ownership position in the
organization. I suppose the organization could sign some sort of debt
agreement with the consultant and agree to make periodic payments, but
that's worth less than the paper it's printed on if the company goes
under (but so is an ownership position, for different reasons).