[Asterisk-biz] Help needed convincing a big customer.

Jason Becker jason at coalescentsystems.ca
Wed Oct 20 18:08:03 MST 2004

Hi Matt,

(Forgive the top post.)

I think it's useful to determine whether the client is an Early Adopter
or a Pragmatist (ala Moore's Crossing the Chasm).

It's hard to determine from your description where your client fits on
the continuum. i.e. They're wary of open source but their technical
staff will "fiddle". Are they a Windows only shop?

I think selling *-based solutions to Pragmatists is challenging because
all that they care about is a mature product. And that means a 100%
total solution that includes well-written documentation, marketing
materials that make it easy to compare with competitors, training, etc.
Something that is lacking in the * community.

Technology announcements (e.g. DUNDi) are never going to convince
Pragmatists. And in the absence of a billion dollar investment from Big
Blue I think the community needs to address some of the shortcomings of
the total * solution. I had mentioned on *-users awhile ago that Digium
could approach an organization like LPI to offer certification in * (I'm
not talking about reseller certification). Or maybe O'Reilly could be
convinced to write a book.

One ray of hope is the Open Source Maturity Model
(http://www.navicasoft.com/pages/osmm.htm). The OSMM is definitely
targeted towards Pragmatist organizations that have the resources to do
an assessment themselves, but I do think it provides a start for those
of us selling *-based solutions. JBOSS was assessed by the model and
scored 78/100. My gut tells me that an *-based solution would score
around 60-65 (of course it depends on the size & type of organization).
The core product is mature but it lacks virtually all of the other
elements required by Pragmatists before they would feel comfortable
implementing an *-based solution in production.

Cheers

--
Jason Becker
Director & CEO