[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Business Termination -- VOIPJET

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Nov 23 06:05:07 MST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

> > > VOIP is good, and is here to stay. VoInternet is fraught with problems
> > > due to lack of end-end guarantees on service.
> >
> > You mean on a LAN it's good, over the net not?
>
> I mean it is good over private circuits. As soon as you get public
> Internet into picture, you become unable to provide any guarantees of
> quality of service. Problem can be at your end, at your client's
> end or at any of 10 carriers that carry IP packets between you and
> your client, causing packet loss, reordering, jitter, etc, etc.

Not to mention that there is no gurantee of routing consistency on the
public Internet. One day, you may get 1,200 KB / second to your favorite
Gentoo mirror, and the next it is routed over some 64k leased line as a
backup to a failed OC-12.

Does this mean that it doesn't work? No. Most of the time, you can get by
with Voice over the Public Internet w/ acceptable quality, but there is no
gurantee.

With a private circuit, using QOS, you have a lot MORE control. Of course,
it doesn't solve ALL the issues, but it certainly hits my top three.

                             KP-216-121-ST