[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Business Termination -- VOIPJET

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Mon Nov 22 21:32:28 MST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> > (*quality* of call, such as guaranteed problem-free CID/CIDNAME
> > delivery, guaranteed problem-free fax, guaranteed working phones even
> > when their router is down/down) is *more* important than saving a
> > penny or two per minute.
>
> In my experience, quality routers are more reliable than quality phone
> systems. They are simpler, easier to manage and usually have no moving
> parts (unlike phone systems with voice mail and ACDs).
Uhhhhh, I think that's a serious stretch right here.

a) realiability of internet router doesn't hold a stick to reliability of
a proper class 4 or 5 switch.

b) even if you compare to an average PBX (definity or something), it is
much more stable than your router (which can get ddos'd or worse) or your
carrier's IP link (again, ddos, misconfigurations, and in general, it is
not designed for 100% availability simply because there are more
"things" the router is doing compared to a stupid PBX).

Sure, voicemail can be flaky - but at least you can always place calls.

> Businesses who use VOIP over a T-1 circuit have _less_ points of failure
> than if they used TDM phone service over that same T-1, because they
> have no complicated equipment in their office to worry about.
Not quite sure of this one. If they are doing Internet traffic over that
same T1, they are susceptible to ddos and IP-based attacks on their
infrastructure and at *your* infrastructure.

-alex