[Asterisk-biz] Conference Bridge Application and Incoming Calls

Wayne Sheppard wayne at vastcommunications.com
Sun Nov 21 09:43:38 MST 2004

> Lastly, on the subject of SIP termination, I am looking to get
> ballpark pricing for incoming 8XX service using SIP termination.  I
> guess I would need one or more 8XX DID's, but I'm not sure how it
> works with regard to incoming capacity.  Obviously with T-1's, you can
> fill up the number of 64K channels you have available, but I'm
> thinking it's more bandwidth oriented with SIP?  Do I get a certain
> number of incoming connections for a certain cost or does it not
> matter since with toll-free service it's based on pricing per minute
> so the number of inbound calls in unlimited?  Also, any
> recommendations on providers for this type of service?

You might want to consider IAX vs. SIP if you decide to go that route.
Another thing to consider might be to acquire your own 8xx numbers from
a carrier that would allow you to repoint those numbers quickly to your
own DIDs which you have contracted for with various IAX providers. That
way if any particular provider goes down, you can easily and quickly
reroute your traffic to another provider while not needing to touch your
internal * configs. Of course the downside is that this will probably
cost a little more per minute, but the disaster recovery capability
might make it worthwhile depending on your SLAs with customers.
Providers that I've found easy to work with (although haven't push
significant traffic through  either) are Teliax and VoipJet.

Good Luck!