[Asterisk-biz] VoipJet's Terms of Service

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Tue Nov 16 13:58:48 MST 2004

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) wrote:

> Infact The Twonships want to charge for any VOIP services, which either
> Originate or terminate services from the Township. However, if the
> services Originate in their Township, the VOIP service provider may be
> governed by other state and local laws.
>
> Hence in order to prevent double taxation on these services, townships
> have uniformly(and offcourse unilaterally) decided to charge for any and
> all VOIP services that terminate to a customer's home address in their
> town.

And how you are to determine that the call traffic actually did
originate or terminate within the township, let alone at the customer's
home address?

If their laws/ordinances/etc. are written to cover traffic for an
account with a "billing address" within the township, then they have a
pretty good case. If they aren't, but are based on the traffic actually
originating or terminating there, then as the ITSP you have no control
over that, and can't be held responsible for determining if the call
actually did involve the customer's home location or not.

This is a big failure in all current attempts to apply taxes to VOIP
services; as ITSPs we can only make an educated guess as to where the
traffic originated/terminated (on the IP side), and bill accordingly.