[Asterisk-biz] VoipJet's Terms of Service

Trevor Peirce tpeirce at digitalcon.ca
Tue Nov 16 11:41:55 MST 2004

Paul Rodan wrote:

>I'm curious, what is Canada's stance with VOIP? Do they strictly forbid it?
>Why are we not allowed to call people in Canada or receive calls from people
>in Canada via VoipJet's system?

I've had a brief  conversation with John at VoipJet and it seems the
issue is the standard federal tax that is applied to all services in Canada.

Any taxable product/service (ie. long distance) is subject to 7% GST.
This only applies if the call stays in Canada.  If it terminates
elsewhere, it's not subject to this sales tax.

As a Canadian business owner, I get the GST refunded on any service or
product my business purchases... with the understanding that I will
collect tax from my customers.  From my understanding, VoipJet doesn't
want to get involved in trying to collect GST on only CDN-CDN calls
because it's simply impossible.  Hence it's easier to just say no.

Though to clear up what others are thinking, there are no specific VoIP
taxes that come in to play. It's just the regular sales tax us Canadians
pay on everything else.

Regards,
Trevor Peirce