[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk/SIP over satellite?

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Wed Dec 29 07:13:05 MST 2004

I've heard them called "bent pipes" for that reason.  They just take
whatever comes in, amplify it, and turn it around.  There's practically no
latency in such a system other than what's imposed by the round trip.

The driving force in satellite design for years and years was *simplicity*.
You're putting something up where you can't reach it to fix it.  It's going
to be bombarded with radiation that degrades unshielded solid-state devices.
It's costing you millions of dollars to get it there.  You don't want to
build it any fancier than you absolutely have to.