[Asterisk-biz] Tried researching but found nothing

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Tue Dec 28 21:29:34 MST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Nick Bachmann wrote:

> >That's a bad approach. Zhone channelbank (8FXO 16FXS) is ~300$ or less,
> Where can you find them for that price?
ebay has lots at 100$ apiece. Search for 'channel bank'.

Sellers on ebay have loads (hundreds) to sell at <200$

> >Talkswitch uses ADSI phones, same kind as you can use with Asterisk. They
> >are significantly cheaper (50$ refurb, 100$ new) than any decent IP phone.
> >
> And, of course, have significantly less features.
Same features as Talkswitch, actually, if you spend time writing ADSI
scripts. As far as feature comparison with IP phones - I wouldn't be so
sure to say ADSI has less features. ADSI SDC compares favorably to the XML
junk you deal with on IP phones. They are *different*. IP phones put logic
into phone (such as conferencing, multiple lines, etc). ADSI relies on the
server doing mixing/"virtual lines".

My personal longstanding opinion is that putting full IP stack and control
into the phone was the worst idea ever. Phone must be a cheap device that
takes command from the "server". Server should control *everything* on the
phone - softkeys, blinkenlighten, conferencing, etc etc.

Cost of IP phone is the biggest factor against adoption. ADSI phones on
other hand are something of 'ugly duckling' - nobody really knows or hears
about them or their features.

--
Alex Pilosov    | DSL, Colocation, Hosting Services
President       | alex at pilosoft.com    (800) 710-7031