[Asterisk-biz] Query on services in Pakistan

Rob Lith rob at connection-telecom.com
Sat Dec 25 23:11:15 MST 2004

While this may not be the right forum for the advertising of any and all
VoIP related products I am for one very thankful for a forum like this that
makes many in South Africans aware of the rape, pillage and plunder our
monopoly Telkom South Africa has got away with for so long.

Generally for calls to the US, UK and Europe they used to charge .60 us
cents per minutes. Now while they could keep the South Africa public
ignorant to the actual costs they could terminate for they got away with it.

Now that it is out in the open and VoIP is going to be legal from 1st Feb
2005, they miraculously are charging .25 us cents as they have to go by a
published tariff accepted by the regulator - this hasn't stopped the running
'specials' at lower rates :)

It's obnoxious that you can Skype-out into SA from SA at cheaper rates that
a LOCAL call cost here!

Any other awareness and advice out there on neat ways to dig at an incumbent
telco welcome.

Rob Lith
Connection Telecom CC