[Asterisk-biz] Linksys WRT54GP2-NA Wireless-G Broadband Router with 2 Phone Ports for sale

Roderick Montgomery rod at thecomplex.com
Sat Dec 18 20:46:49 MST 2004

According to Tracy R Reed:

> This is part of what's wrong with "intellectual property" today. It's MINE
> damnit! I bought ??t, I should be able to see it if I want. Imagine if car
> makers wouldn't let you resell your car with any mods or their "value-add"
> services. In almost every case I have run into "value added" means you are
> getting ripped off anyhow.

Linksys probably has a similar sentiment, from a different perspective. The
product is theirs, and they have the right to sell it (or not sell it) as
they see fit. If they require partners to have blue in their logo, or to
ship product only before sunset, or to offer a service along with this
product, they are allowed to do so. They make their own distribution rules,
and as long as they're legal, they don't need to be fair or just in your
judgement. Manufacturers must protect their distribution and partner
channels, and this is one way they do that. I'm not advocating one way or
the other, just showing you that the "it's mine, I can do with it as I
please" street runs both ways.

If you bought it legitimately, Linksys are not going to come take it away
from you. They may, however, choose to sever their relationship with the
company that sold it to you, or direct that company to refrain from selling
more to you. I've worked with Cisco and Cisco products for the past ten
years (Linksys is now a Cisco company), and I've never seen them come after
an end user for something like this. Blatant software license violations,
sure. Channel partners that deliberately bend the rules, of course. An end
user that wants to run a WRT54GP2-NA against Asterisk rather than a
Value-Added Service Provider's network? I seriously doubt it.

rm