[asterisk-app-dev] Clicks in audio

Naftoli Gugenheim naftoligug at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 19:39:09 CDT 2017

> The endpoint receiving them can also have an impact.

FWIW, I can reproduce it both through an actual phone to a DID on
Flowroute, and a sip phone running on my laptop connecting to a locally
running asterisk.

Asterisk doesn't
> generally generate media on its own. This means that if you play a sound
> file, wait, play a sound file, etc, there is no silence generated in
> that gap period. The endpoint may not be liking the resulting RTP
> stream, resulting in it getting confused when the sound file changes and
> causing an actual audio manifestation.

Does "wait" include doing an AGI "wait for digit"?
This does happen sometimes. For instance if I'm playing two phrases,
sometimes I want a 250ms or 500ms pause in between, and if it's part of a
prompt that can be interrupted I use WaitForDigit (otherwise I currently
just use Thread.sleep)

But it does not seem like that's where it's happening. Mostly I'm playing a
bunch of sound files one right after the other. (Well, there's technically
some amount of time spent in getting the response from asterisk over
FastAGI and sending the next command... but one would hope that's
negligible...)