[asterisk-app-dev] Send a SIP NOTIFY via a softphone, not via Asterisk

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed Apr 29 14:06:12 CDT 2015

Hello,

Asterisk is not a SIP proxy, so it does not forward SIP traffic to
destinations. In your case, you're likely seeing a 489 response because
Asterisk only knows about specific events in NOTIFY requests ("refer"
for transfers, "message-summary" for outbound MWI subscriptions,
"keep-alive" for certain devices' NAT keepalives, and "call-completion"
for call completion subscriptions. Anything else is not understood by
Asterisk, so you get a 489 Bad Event response.

If you want to send NOTIFYs from Asterisk, you must use AMI or the CLI
commands to do so.