[asterisk-app-dev] External media to bridges

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Wed Mar 12 12:02:52 CDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Paul Belanger
<paul.belanger at polybeacon.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I had a chance to play a little with bridges today, mostly load
> testing / profiling Asterisk 11 and 12.  One of the issues I had out
> of the box was playing external audio from asterisk into a bridge.
> For the purpose of my testing I was simply using a local channel to
> drop audio in the bridge using MusicOnHold.
>
> Obviously not the best setup, but for a real world example I would
> need to play audio into the bridge external to Asterisk and not over
> channel like SIP.  How do people see this working?

There's some fundamental concepts here that are going to be the same
no matter what we do. Asterisk is Asterisk: AMI, dialplan, ARI: they
all use the same basic building blocks. They just expose them
differently (and in some cases, use them in a much more fun way).

* Channels move media between some 'thing' and Asterisk. Asterisk, in
this case, is either a bridge or some form of generation/termination
in a dialplan application.
* Bridges mix media between channels.
* Local channels - which always come in a pair - move media between a
bridge/dialplan application and some other bridge/dialplan
application. They do this by having a virtual 'thing' that hands the
media back and forth between the two channel pairs. This is typically
called the Local bridge - but it's just as easy to think about it as a
little frame relay device widget that passed media in both directions.

To answer your question then: it is working as intended. Bridges are
not a source of media; they should not be a source of media; they are
the thing that mixes and directs the media. In Asterisk, your source
of media can either be:
 * A device communicating over some 'real' channel
 * A dialplan application, communicating over a Local channel

> I know we have mentioned HTTP with cache headers in the past but
> according to file 'Local channels will also impact scaling.' so I'm
> trying to see how we'd come up with a solution.

When we say Local channels are inefficient, that's typically in
relation to things that are much more efficient. In general, passing a
frame through a Local channel is not *terribly* expensive - it's just
a lot more expensive than having two "real" channels be natively
bridged. Once the media is in the core, that extra hop isn't a whole
lot more work. Because a softmix bridge manipulates the media, the
media has to be in the core. Hence, the Local channel doesn't really
add much overhead (if any) to this scenario.

Since the Local channel is almost certainly not the thing impacting
your scaling, that means that making a bridge into a media source -
whatever that would look like - doesn't help the situation. More on
what probably is limiting your scaling below.

> All of my example would be piping something from the OS level into
> asterisk using a Local channel, but that doesn't appear to be the best
> option.  So, the next step would be some specific module compiled into
> asterisk?

I think you're jumping to a conclusion about what impacted your test
without understanding what is happening. This is one of those cases
where profiling your scenario would be absolutely necessary to make
any kind of strong statement, but there are some general assumptions
that I think are safe to make about what happens when you load a
system up with multi-party bridges.

In a multi-party bridge, every channel that presents a frame to the
softmix bridging technology has to be taken and mixed together. Say we
have n channels participating. If each channel delivers a frame to be
mixed, we have to take all n frames and turn them into a new frame; we
then have to deliver that frame to all n participants. This is done by
some mixing thread; there is a single thread that does this job. This
is a problem that scales linearly: each participant you add is another
channel that can send a frame and has to receive the mixed frame. At
some point in time, as you add more participants, you will overload
the thread doing the mixing where it can no longer deliver frames fast
enough to not cause audio degradation. Eventually, that thread will
peg out a CPU.

So: when you throw a large number of participants into a single
bridge, you're going to eventually hit a max limit. The asymptotic
complexity of visiting every participant in a container on a single
thread of execution is O(n). Type of container doesn't matter - to
speed that up, you need to parallelize. That's not a problem. That's
computer science.

Question: for single announcer, multiple listener, would a different
bridging model help?

Answer: somewhat. A holding bridge 'knows' that its participants will
never give it meaningful audio, so it drops those frames. Because
there's no gathering of media, that takes some burden off of the
processing. The asymptotic complexity of the problem is still O(n)
however; you've just removed a constant factor from the equation.

Question: why not multi-thread the delivery of the frames?
(multi-threading gathering isn't super useful, since there's a single
choke point in the mixer. You might get some parallelism by reserving
portions of an array for each thread, then synchronizing the gathering
threads with the mixing thread, but not a lot - and the complexity of
all that probably isn't worthwhile.)

Answer: because in most normal use cases of Asterisk, this is not the
bottle neck. For a low number of participants, multi-threading the
delivery is going to hurt you; see Amdahl's Law. There is another way
to gain parallelism in this case, however, in a more generic fashion.

Question: well, what can we do to parallelize the situation?

Answer: multiple bridges.

If you wanted to scale this out, you would need multiple multi-party
bridges. Each multi-party bridge hosts some number of your
participants; this should scale with the number of execution units on
your hardware. Use Local channels to pass audio between the
multi-party bridges: this is a small overhead, as the (a) the media is
already in the core, and (b) from the perspective of each multi-party
bridge, the Local channel is just another frame source/sink. As you
add participants, balance them between the multi-party bridges. This
coarse grain parallelism scales the problem across whatever hardware
you're running on, without requiring strange mechanisms that hurt
other scenarios in the softmix code.

Matt

--
Matthew Jordan