[asterisk-app-dev] Question on implementation of "assigned" uniqueid when creating channels.

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Fri Feb 21 12:04:13 CST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Scott Griepentrog <sgriepentrog at digium.com
> wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I'm working on the ability to set the uniqueid on channel creation via ami
> and ari, and I've run into a quandary:
>
> When Asterisk dials over chan_local, it creates a LOCAL/something;1
> channel, and another LOCAL/something;2 channel to handle the other end of
> the call.  If I'm specifying the uniqueid when I originate the call, I
> would presume it would be set to the ;1 channel, as that's the one I'm
> actually talking to.  But should there be something identifiable (rather
> than the standard 012345678.123 uniqueid format) on the ;2 channel?  For
> example, if I create the ;1 channel as 'MyCustomId', would it be useful to
> have the uniqueid of the ;2 channel be 'MyCustomId;2' ?
>
> Although it's probably not a good idea, it's not technically impossible to
> set the same 'MyCustomId' to both channels.  Any other ideas on how best to
> handle this?

It is definitely not a good idea to have both the ;1 and ;2 channels to
have the same uniqueid.
They are different channels and if you look up a channel by uniqueid you
won't know which
local channel you will get.

Pretty much the choices you have are:
1) Give ;1 the requested id and let the ;2 generate its own id.

2) Give ;1 the requested id and give the ;2 the same id with an appended ;2
or some other differentiator that lets the two channels be associated by a
similar id.

3) Give ;1 the requested id and give the ;2 an extra given id by the
requester.  This option has the drawback of requiring the user to pass two
ids when creating a local channel.

Richard