[asterisk-app-dev] Asterisk ARI

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Thu Feb 6 10:51:46 CST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Glen Millard <glenmillard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Folks;
>
> Let's see if I can word this correctly. I wanted to use the Asterisk ARI to
> be able to do certain things from a web interface.
>
> We were hoping to do the following with it:
>
> 1.  Have clients set up voicemail on the Asterisk server
> 2.  Be able to record their own greeting
> 3.  Configure voicemail --> email (email voicemail messages to them)
> 4.  Control the number of rings - or at least the time that it takes for
> voicemail to pickup
>
> I see some of the API calls in the Swagger UI - however, I think I may just
> not be familiar with they naming / nomenclature in Asterisk .
>
> So, with the above list, and I am not looking for hand-holding, just some
> guidance.
>
> Is there a way to do these things with the use of the API or the RealTime
> Database config? If so, just some ideas on how to get started. If not, is
> there a 3rd party application/resource that someone knows of where I can do
> this by utilizing some sort of toolkit or API?
>
> Thanks so much - I really appreciate the help!

You can't really provision Asterisk using ARI. ARI is more a
replacement interface allowing you to create a voicemail application.
So, as it stands to day, no existing applications in asterisk
(app_queue, app_voicemail) are exposed.

Eventually somebody will write a voicemail replacement, that is
outside of asterisk (using ARI) and they will likely expose some API
to allow 3rd party applications to provision them.

Hopefully that helps.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)